Happy New Year! What will 2020 bring? What goals will you set? I am working on a few personal and professional goals and highly anticipate seeing what this year has in store. In the meantime, I’m excited to share a few things coming up in our studio!
- Lessons and classes will resume Monday, January 6th! We will return to our regular schedule.
- January and February will once again have a composing focus as we all work on creating our own music. In preparation for this, I’ve enrolled in this 10 day chord challenge that starts on Jan 5! It’s run by a colleague of mine who is a prolific composer and songwriter! It’s geared towards both piano teachers and intermediate level piano students and I think it would be an excellent way for us to start the new year! A great way to build upon those lifelong piano skills! The course is only $7 to enrol! I hope all my students who are a grade 4 level and up enrol and go through the challenge with me! https://elissamilne.simplero.com/page/133889
- UKULELE is returning! We had so much fun during our Holiday Ukulele classes that I’ve decided to continue a once a month class for those who would like to continue adding new chords and songs to their repertoire. For those of you who wished they could be a part of that holiday class and would like to take part in the once a month class, I will be offering a one day “Crash Course in Ukulele Playing” on Saturday, January 18th at 10:30am. We will cover 3-4 chords, strumming basics, learn a couple songs and get up to speed enough to join the monthly ukulele circle! Cost will be $25. Must be between the ages of 8 – 108. 😉 Book now.
- CALENDAR: this year our calendar has a couple anomalies! We have a leap year with an extra day in February AND we have local school districts split between two different Spring Break schedules! Because of this our studio will be doing a two week Spring Break from March 23 – April 5! This will allow everyone to be able to plan their break without worry of missing lessons. Also the calendar page on the website has been updated showing which weeks are Spring Break, which weeks are master classes and when the projected last week of lessons will be in June!
- And finally, booking for the Spring Recital is in the works…will likely be the weekend of May 9.
Happy Back to School for those of you who sent your kids off today (this is week two for us!). We are less than a week away from our own Back to Lessons! Just a couple things to let you know this week!
Invoices/receipts were sent out last week on the 29th. If you did not receive one by email, please check your junk mail. I am using a new accounting system this year that automates and customizes invoices and receipts and your email may have not recognized the address origin (firstname.lastname@example.org). It will show Michelle Miller Music Studio as the sender.
Schedule and Calendar is up on this, the main website: mmmusicstudio.com You can bookmark this address OR I usually include it in my email signature to make it easy to find. I am currently working on booking the Christmas recital so just know that is TENTATIVELY scheduled right now and will be confirmed hopefully very soon! You will also find newsletters, announcements and practice tips posted there as well, so if you can’t find it by email, check out the site and it is usually posted there too!
I am off to get a little more last minute organization and re-decorating done in the studio now! Looking forward to a wonderful new year of music making with all of you!! See you next week!
School’s out and sun’s out! Some of you have already hit the road for summer holidays, some of you have been enjoying some exciting day camps and some of you may have just been enjoying some lazy days of summer (my son falls into this latter category!). A special few of you actually spent some of this week with me doing a summer lesson and what fun we had!! This year I decided to offer summer lessons in the form of a three lesson package OR a la carte, this week was our first installment and it was a beach theme. We enjoyed it all, from beach themed games and music to a tasty beach themed treat!
For those of you who weren’t able to sign up for this week I’ll be sharing one of the games we played in case you’d like to print and use it at home over the summer to keep some concepts reviewed. It’s not too late to join the fun over the summer! Our next summer lesson will be the week of July 18th and the theme for that week will be CAMPING! There will be one more during the week of August 2nd and that theme will be ROADTRIP. Email if you are interested in some piano lesson fun for your student and a little help and review/practice motivation over the summer.
No matter where you are or what you are doing, I hope music is a part of it! Over the past several weeks on our Facebook page I have been sharing some resources and tips to help keep up that practicing over the summer. Practicing the piano is a little bit like climbing a ladder, every time you practice you go up a rung, but when you don’t practice you end up going down a rung and long extended periods of practice can mean going down several rungs before lessons resume in the fall. Even the use of some great music apps can help the slip and slide!
For those of you who haven’t yet liked the Facebook page or are not on Facebook, here are some of the resources that have been shared over the past few weeks:
- A fun beach themed printable game from Teach Piano Today (instructions at the bottom of the post: beachdaycardpacks BeachDayGameBoard
- Some great apps to keep up the note naming skills: Note Rush, Ningenius, Flashnote Derby (name AND play the key—these can be used with your acoustic OR digital piano at home OR if you are on the road traveling you can use the little attached keyboard setting!)
- Creating an awesome practice nest that will help keep up that practice motivation over the summer: https://mmmusicstudio.com/2017/06/26/creating-a-practice-nest/
I can’t possibly share them all so if you like to keep up to date, like the Facebook page! Enjoy and have a wonderful summer!!
Beach Day game instructions:
Single Player: Place your game marker on the “Start” circle and draw a card. Complete the task on the card. If you complete it correctly, move forward the number of spaces shown on the card. If incorrect, move back two spaces and re-draw a new card. If you draw a “beach gear” card, keep it and put it to the side of the board. If you land on an “Oops” circle then you lose one piece of your beach gear and the card is returned to the pile. If you land on the “Shopping Spree” circle, you get to take back one piece of your lost beach gear. If you reach the finish with at least 3 pieces of beach gear you win and head to the beach! If you do not have 3, stay on the last space and continue to flip over and complete cards until you collect the 3 needed pieces of beach gear. (single player ideas from teach piano today.)
Multi-player (Mrs. Miller’s version): Place game markers on the start circle and roll a dice to see who goes first. Draw a card and complete the task on the card. If completed correctly, move forward the number of spaces on the card. If incorrect, turn goes to next player. If you draw a beach gear card, keep it and draw another card. If you land on an oops return to the beginning! If you land on a shopping spring you can “shop” from another player. If you make it to the end with the most beach gear, you win!
Each year, I open up registration for 6 beginner piano students (ages 4-7) and parents looking for piano lessons that are creative, inspiring and fun AND 6 preschoolers (ages 2-4) who want to explore music and rhythm instruments with expression and energy while learning all about the foundations of music. If you have a child between the ages of 2 and 7, then you will find the perfect fit in one of these programs. The Sunbeams 1 beginner piano class will take place on Mondays from 4:30-5:30pm and the preschool music class will take place on Thursdays at 12:45pm. Contact email@example.com and join the excitement! Space is limited and classes fill quickly.