What a chilly November morning!! I feel like a bit of a broken record when I say that October went by in a flash! I expect the next several weeks will too! Here are a few things to keep you updated:
DRESS UP WEEK
The boys of my Moonbeams 3 piano class requested that this week be “Dress Up Week” . If you are not already sick of dressing up from a weekend of fun and yesterday (they assured me that they would definitely NOT be sick of dressing up!) then feel free to come to lessons in costume this week for a little bit of extra fun (Oct 31-Nov 4).
The students have been using the “What’s in my Musical Mind” posters to share with each other what they’ve been learning each week and how many days they’ve been practicing. It’s a little bit of accountability and motivation rolled up in to one. We will continue this both this week and next week before we roll out our new practice incentive after the Remembrance Day/Fall break. Speaking of practicing, I came across this great article and just shared it on the Facebook page:
My children and several of my piano students have most or all of the week following Remembrance Day off, so there will be NO LESSONS November 11-18….instead, students will be encouraged to spend that extra time on the Christmas pieces they will be assigned both this week and next week in lesson….and I will be using that time to really start organizing and preparing for our big annual Christmas recital…which will be?? That’s right!
DECEMBER 16, 6:30pm ANNUAL CHRISTMAS RECITAL
Mark your calendars for our annual Christmas Recital on December 16th at 6:30pm in the main auditorium of First Church of the Nazarene, 14320 94 street. Our theme is: Christmas in Our Jammies….feel free to dress accordingly! There will be photo ops AND photo props! We will begin preparations this week. Expect fun ensembles, lovely piano solos and yummy treats!
Well, here we are! We made it through January! And a number of us ended it off with a night at the Opera on Thursday night! What an experience that was! If you missed it, Edmonton Opera has just announced next season’s line up and among it is Rossini’s La Cenerentala (Cinderella!!) and Puccini’s Turandot (a story of the kind -hearted Calaf who risks his life to melt the icy heart of Princess Turandot). Hopefully one of them will have an evening education dress rehearsal again!
As we head into February, just a few things to bring to your attention:
1. CAUGHT PRACTICING! We have 7 students up on our caught practicing wall so far! Keep emailing those awesome pictures!
2. FEBRUARY MASTER CLASS: The week following Family Day (February 16-18), there will once again be no regular lessons due to the holiday Monday. Instead we will once again have special themed Master Classes. February’s theme will be a Piano Pajama Party…because what could be better than wear your pajamas during the cold winter season! 😉 It will also lead perfectly into our brand new practice challenge that will be kicked off that week and run until Spring Break (How? You’ll see!). I will be sending out a Master Class sign up sheet separately in the next day or so! As a heads up the Tuesday class will be 6pm, the Wednesday class at 5 and the Thursday class is TBD but likely 4:30 or 5.
3. SPRING BREAK: February is a short month and I am sure Spring Break will be here before we know it. The calendar on my website has been updated for you to check out but, in the meantime, I am letting you know that we will be having a 2 week Spring Break this year from March 21-April 3. I have been invited on my daughter’s grade 11 class trip to Mandeville, Jamaica as a chaperone and have also been asked to run a music camp and piano clinic at the orphanage and church respectively while we are there. In addition, we will be building some much needed extra room onto their buildings, teaching swimming lessons and doing soccer camps with the kids! I’m looking forward to an exciting, rewarding and thoroughly exhausting time with the 14 teenagers and three other chaperones! We will leave March 20th and return April 2. Regular lessons will resume on April 4th.
4. RCM EXAMS: For those of you doing theory or piano exams this May and June, the deadline to register is March 1st. I will be sending you more information including which centre to register for very soon!
5. SPRING RECITAL: Is officially MAY 6th! Mark your calendars!!!
We will end of recital portion with a song sung by all students and the lyrics and a video to sing along with were sent out again this week by email. All students will be asked to come to the stage at the end for a photo op and to sing. I am hoping to have the lyrics on the screen for those that may not have it memorized and for the audience to join in if they can. Feel free also to copy and paste these lyrics and print off a sheet to bring if needed. Our recital is meant to be a beautiful showcasing of Christmas and seasonal music and we work hard to do our best, but keep in mind this is meant more to be just a simple sharing of the gift of music. Encourage lots of practice, but also emphasize the fun and enjoyment rather than stress and pressure.
We will have one more regular lesson next week to make our final preparations for recital. We will go over bowing and recital etiquette, be sure to have students practice this at home when they practice their recital piece all next week.
The week following the recital, December 14-17, will be our last lesson before the Christmas break and it will be a special Christmas Master Class/Piano Party, there will be no regularly scheduled lessons that week instead you will have the opportunity to sign up for any one of the specially scheduled master classes, just as you did at Thanksgiving. This last week before Christmas is historically a busy one with many school concerts so hopefully these master classes will give you a bit of flexibility during a busy time as you can choose whichever day works for you, they are also un-parented so you will have the opportunity for a last minute errand to the grocery store or Londonderry mall during that hour OR a quiet cup of coffee at the local Tim Horton’s or Starbucks. Please RSVP by email with your child’s name and the day/time you choose for the master class in the subject line.
Monday, December 14, 6-7pm
Tuesday, December 15, 4-5pm
Wednesday, December 16, 5-6pm
I don’t know about you but I can NOT wait until Spring! Sadly, I realize I will have to…and likely several more weeks…yes, that’s probably being optimistic.
While we all wait longingly for Spring (or deal with our offspring experiencing sever Spring Fever), here is a short and sweet March Newsletter for you. You’ll notice the word Spring is mentioned a few times:
1. We have completed the first week of our 4 week Pirate-y Practice Challenge. Way to go! This week’s goal is 5 days of practice!
2. We will be having a two week Spring Break/Easter Break from March 27-April 11 to accommodate the varying Spring Break schedule that comes with many different students enrolled in many different school boards. This is the first year I’ve tried a two week Spring Break, but we will give it a try and see how it goes! I have been noticed a lot of tired students dragging into the studio this week. I am hoping this extended break will provide some rest and refreshment. But don’t forget to get a little bit of piano practice in.
3. The Spring recital is booked for Friday, May 8th, 2015 at 6:30pm. We will be getting FANCY! At least that will be our theme. We are going to try and go all out with our fanciest piano pieces, ensembles and wardrobes! Mark your calendar for our Fancy and Formal Spring Recital! We will likely have our recital pieces picked by Spring Break, so take a little time over the holiday to get a head start!